Garage Door Weather Stripping and Sealing near You
If you are worried that your garage is going to be freezing come winter, we can help. We may not be able to control the weather, but we can certainly help keep your garage at a reasonable temperature.
By installing or replacing weather stripping on your garage door, we can trap the warm air inside during the winter and keep the cold air from seeping through. Not only can this make it much more comfortable to work inside of your garage during the colder months, but it can also help you to save money on your upcoming energy bills.
When your garage door weather sealing is damaged or worn, trust the team at FIX Garage Doors CA to have all the replacement parts you need. We offer several weather seal sizes and types, including vinyl and rubber seals.
If you’re not confident completing a weather stripping replacement yourself, you can rely on the trained, helpful technicians at FIX Garage Doors CA to perform efficient and effective services. We can recommend garage door sealing solutions that work for your door and meet your household’s needs, ensuring that warm air, cool air, pests, and inclement weather are all blocked from entering through the gap.
Types of Garage Door Weather Stripping
There are many varieties of garage door weather sealing, depending on which type of door you have. Although they all provide protection against the elements, they may have weaknesses that could make them ineffective. The level of defence these garage door seals can provide depends on the conditions.
- Bottom Seals. The most common type of weather stripping on garage doors is the kind attached to the bottom of the door. A retainer made of steel, PVC or aluminum is nailed or bolted to the bottom of the door. No matter the construction, bottom seals can have some limitations. Depending on the materials, they could deteriorate or become worn easily over time. This makes them far less effective. If your garage floor has any irregularities, these weather seals may not provide complete protection.
- Side and Top Seals. Made of PVC, these seals are attached to the doorjamb around the sides and top of the garage entrance. Although these can close any gaps along those three sides of the door, they won’t prevent anything from getting through gaps along the bottom of the door.
- Threshold Seals. When used in conjunction with bottom seals, this type of garage door stripping provides strong protection. Threshold seals typically consist of either a strip of flexible material or rigid aluminum. They are attached to the garage floor with strong adhesives or concrete fixing screws directly behind the garage door. When the garage door is closed, the presence of threshold stripping ensures a tight seal, even if there are irregularities in the floor.
Weather Stripping Cost
Weatherstripping costs an average of $275, from $150 and up. Many homeowners complete more than one project at a time, which affects cost. Other cost factors include materials and the number of doors and windows that need to be sealed.
Garage Door Weather Stripping Replacement and Installation
Applying weather stripping or a weather seal around your garage door can help keep the elements out. If you need to install a weatherstrip around your door, follow these tips step-by-step.
- You need to purchase a garage door seal online or at any local hardware store. Depending on the door size, you can buy a 30-feet long one. It can be enough to fully fit around the top and sides. If you replace the existing weather stripping, first, you should remove the old one. It is not difficult to do this.
- You will need a few tools like a drill or drill bits. The weatherstrip is a moulded piece of rubber, and this package comes with nails to attach it to the door frame. As the nails are hard to use, instead, we recommend using screws. If you install the weatherstrip at first, your garage door should be closed. This makes it easier to position the weatherstrip in the right place with the correct pressure on the rolling door.
- Now position the end of the strip at the top with the longer side resting against the garage. Then drill a small hole in the shorter side of the strip and into the wood trim. The corner is a little bit tight to work in. To make your installation easier, you can mark the hole and then do the drilling with the door open. Next, take a screw and twist it partway into the rubber strip. After that, hand tighten the screw into the wood trim to hold it up. With the strip in place, use a drill and screw it the rest of the way. At this point, check the fit. If something is wrong, you can remove, trim and reattach it once again to make it snug.
- Once you are satisfied with the first screw, continue and repeat with the next one about 8-inches below the first one. The screws don’t need to be too close together but you don’t want them too far apart either. This will prevent the rubber from curling, and it will have a cleaner look. Though we recommend starting with the door closed, the rest should be screwed when it is open. When you have done two or three screws, the rest is going to be easy.
- Once the bottom is reached, just press the strip onto the ground to see where it needs to be cut. A pair of regular scissors will cut through this with no problem. And now just repeat like before and install the last screw. It should sit snug against the concrete. At this point, you can close the garage door and see how it seals it off.
- If it sits perfectly you can go ahead and replace or install the seal on the other side.
But if you are not sure that you can deal with all these tips and replace or install the weatherstrip, contact the pros at Fix Garage Doors CA. Our qualified technicians will help you replace the weatherstrip or install the new one upon your online request or give us a call to arrange an appointment.
Same-day Garage Door Weather Stripping and Sealing
Fix Garage Doors CA has more than fifteen years of experience in providing all types of garage doors repair, including parts repair and replacement, e.g. garage door spring repair or opener repair, and installation services. If you need to replace or install the door weatherstrip and seal, contact our support team and you benefit from the same-day services.
Moreover, you will be satisfied not only with the fast and well-done job but with using our discount garage repair coupons. Our company suggests a warranty on the installation, our services, and replaced parts. Contact us online or call at 888-242-0777.